…and today I am finally feeling almost normal. Looking back on the ordeal, I have these little tidbits of wisdom.
- an organ was cut out, cut yourself a break and rest
- keep ahead of the pain with the narcotic pain relievers once you get home
- use a stool softener
- ice, ice, ice the incision sites (I had my kidney removed laparoscopically and have 3 punctures and a 3″ incision)
- if you have a recliner – use it. Sleeping the first few nights in the recliner is a pain saver
- drink lots of plain water to keep the plumbing in good working order
- walk as much as you can. It does make a difference!
- have a pillow handy to grab for sneezes, coughs and unexpected movement
- get a velcro belly belt and wear it! I wore mine for almost 4 weeks and it helps!!!
- know that you will heal…the pain does not last forever.
- If you do not have a good support system nearby, find an online group with which to participate. It helps to compare notes and know that you are not alone in your misery.
I hope this helps someone…I know a lot of people are asking questions and seeking information because the fact that we have kidney cancer is scary enough.
Until next time….